Chew on this: the majority of pets show some signs of dental disease by age three. And that’s no laughing matter. Over time, tooth decay, gingivitis, and plaque and tartar build-up can lead to heart, liver, and kidney problems, drastically impacting your best friend’s longevity and quality of life.
In honor of National Dental Health Month, we wanted to offer you some advice for keeping your pet smiling for years to come. Did you know that good pet dental hygiene starts the same way human dental hygiene does – with the establishment of a regular brushing routine?
If you’re intimidated by the prospect of brushing your pet’s teeth, you’re not alone. Here are a few tips to make brushing your pet’s teeth go smoothly:
- Get comfortable. Instead of standing over your dog, trying kneeling or sitting in front of him or her. Practice lifting your pet’s lip to see the teeth and reward with praise.
- Use a toothbrush and toothbrush made for pets. Human toothpaste contains ingredients that may hurt your pet’s stomach. Finger brushes work well for cats and small- and medium-sized dogs: you’ll need a larger brush with a handle for large dogs.
- Go slow at first. Start with rubbing your pet’s gums and teeth with your finger to see how well they tolerate it. Before using the brush, let them lick some of the toothpaste off of your finger or the brush.
- Be gentle. Finish with the bottom front teeth. Focus on the outside of the teeth—the surface facing the cheek is the most prone to plaque and tartar buildup.
- Be patient. Getting used to brushing might take several sessions. Your pet’s gums may bleed a little at first, but it’s only an emergency if it doesn’t stop.
In addition to regular dental check-ups and teeth brushing, we also recommend Oravet chews and ProDen PlaqueOff powder, both of which go a long way toward controlling harmful tartar and plaque, to keep your pet’s whites pearly between cleanings.
ProDen PlaqueOff Powder
ProDen PlaqueOff Powder is a natural dietary supplement that is suitable for both dogs and cats and can help reduce the amount of plaque causing bacteria in your pet’s mouth.
ProDen PlaqueOff Powder comes in an easy-to-use granulated form, is rich in natural iodine and contains important vitamins and minerals. It’s also free of artificial colors, preservatives, gluten and sugar. The specially formulated ProDen PlaqueOff Powder Cat recipe also includes brewer’s yeast for added flavor and appeal for finicky felines.