Chocolate’s Not So Sweet for Pets

One of the best things about the holiday season from Halloween to New Year’s Day is the abundance of treats, especially chocolate. Unless you’re a dog or cat—for them, eating chocolate isn’t something to celebrate. Here’s why it’s important to keep chocolate and pets apart:

  • Chocolate is high in fats, and contains theobromine and caffeine which affect the heart, central nervous system and urination frequency.
  • The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is for our furry friends. Please be careful with baking chocolate, as this poses the biggest risk.
  • If your pet has ingested chocolate, monitor them for symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drinking, pacing, shaking and hyperactivity.
  • If you need to bring your pet to see us because he or she has ingested chocolate, if possible please bring along the packaging from anything they’ve eaten so we know what kind of chocolate it was and how much your pet has had.

Anyone with pets should also keep the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center number and website handy—it’s a valuable resource considering pets are well-known as consumers of things they shouldn’t have. The number is 888-426-4435.

Have questions about chocolate toxicity? Give us a call at 404-255-8522.


We are still requiring that all pets be picked up at the curb for their appointments.

Click HERE to Read More