Easter Season Cat Safety

Easter can be a dangerous holiday for cats if we’re not careful. We’ve created a short list of items to keep away from your cat, if not avoid altogether, this season:

  • Lilies – While a beautiful sign of spring and a classic choice for flowers on Easter, Lilies are, for the most part, extremely toxic for cats. Even just two leaves consumed could result in death if left untreated. The best way to avoid poisoning is to not have these flowers in or around the house, but if you must, make sure they are entirely outside the reach of your feline friend. Watch for things like drooling, vomiting and irregular urination.
  • Fake Easter basket grasses – This fun and colorful plastic is just as attractive to cats as it is to us humans. For our cats, though, this means eating it, which could result in serious health problems that often result in required surgical removal of the plastic. Evidence of ingestion include vomiting, dehydration and diarrhea among others.
  • Ribbons – Ribbons, like fake grass, are very attractive to cats, but because ribbons are typically longer, they have the potential to result in a linear foreign body in your cat. The ribbon would wrap one end around the back of the cat’s tongue, making the other end unable to get through digestion, which could cause serious long-term issues, and even death. It is important that even if you see a string sticking out of your cat’s mouth, you do not pull it out in case it is a part of a linear foreign body.
    Given the busy-ness of a holiday like Easter, with all the food to make and the guests to attend to, it can be easy to forget about some of the other items floating around our house that pose serious dangers for anun-monitored cat. Window blind strings and shopping bags are two of the big culprits, but needles and thread can also have disastrous affects if ingested.

Easter Season Cat SafetyRecently, we had a very sweet cat named Dhobi come in with a high fever, lost appetite, and a swelling on the right side of his neck that we assumed was an abscess from a fight with one of other two cats in the household. We sent him home with some antibiotics, which helped a decent amount, but couldn’t stop the wound from opening up again. Finally, we decided to take Dhobi into surgery to see what was really causing the problem—the result? A sewing needle! We removed it and the wound heeled up fine; if the needle had been allowed to continue through his digestive tract, it could have caused perforation of the stomach or intestines or a linear foreign body that caused the intestines to bunch up and be cut through by the taught thread.

Because we would like to avoid more stories like Dhobi’s, or worse, this Easter, please let us know if you have any further questions on these or other household items dangerous to cats. If you see your cat ingest something dangerous or toxic, or they exhibit signs of ingestion, do not hesitate to give us a call at 404-255-8522. We also have a list of emergency pet hospitals in the area should the emergency occur outside of our business hours.


We are still requiring that all pets be picked up at the curb for their appointments.

Click HERE to Read More